Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Top Five Albums of 2009 – Intro

I’m a little late getting to my yearly review of music, mostly because I’ve been debating the finalized list. In general, for me to consider an album one of my best of the year, it must meet some criteria: A) it has to be released in the year I’m reviewing and B) I have to like the WHOLE thing – appreciate the story the artist is trying to tell and fall in love with it. I’m an album purist. You might have a track or two that isn't the greatest, but if it works with the story okay, none of this cutting out singles with crappy lyrics that don't make sense together (I’m looking at you Kris Allen – how could you be so disappointing?). Or situations where there is clearly a single or two that makes no sense with the tone or style of the rest of the album but is marketable enough to sell your album (Duffy, you are the quintessential example of this).

I was going to do this in one installment, but after working on it for a week, it’s way too long for a single blog post, so I’m breaking it up over a series of posts. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment